Mr. Richard Mugisha
Mr. Mugisha Richard was appointed as a Manager Human Resources, Makerere University, College of Health Sciences in August, 2010. In September, 2014, was transferred as Manager Human Resources in charge of two Colleges; College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, and College of Natural Sciences, Makerere University. In July, 2016, was transferred to the Directorate of Human Resources as Manager Performance and Appraisal Division. I previously served in Public Service of Uganda for ten years from 2001 to 2010, rising from a level of Personnel Officer to Senior Personnel Officer then Principal level a post I held five years.
I hold a Higher Education Management fellowship awarded in 2015, from the University of Oldenburg in Germany;
A Master’s Degree in Human Resource Management attained in 2009 from Uganda Management Institute;
A Certificate in Administrative Law from Uganda Law Development Centre awarded in 2009;
A Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management attained in 2006 from Uganda Management Institute;
A Bachelors degree in Social Sciences (honors) from Makerere University awarded in 2000.
August, 2010 – to date, Manager, Human Resources, Makerere University
Roles and Responsibilities;
I am a Human Resources Manager who has worked for sixteen years in reputable Organizations. His expertise is mainly in developing and managing personnel systems, human resource planning, staff training and development, performance and reward management. I am well versed with institutional planning, developing training manuals, human resource and administrative processes, policies, systems, plans and procedures. He has an impeccable, in-depth knowledge and experience of Administration and Management, Human resource management tools under the seven Human resource pillars that is Human Resource Planning, Recruitment and Selection, Human Resource Development, Compensation and Benefits, Performance Management, Organizational Development and Healthy and Safety.
Roles and Responsibilities continued;
- Executing the human resource and administrative functions in the University;
- Preparing human resource plans and budgets and account for the recruitment, retention and exit of human resources in the University;
- To provide professional(technical) support and advise to the University on HR matters in line with the University strategic plan and HR Policy;
- Monitor the application of HURIS in the University in line with University information policy;
- Coordinating periodic skills audit and generating reports in line with the HR Policies, HR Business plan, corporate strategy and objectives;
- Managing the human resource and administrative function in Colleges of Health Sciences, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences(CAES) and College of Natural Sciences(CONAS);
- Monitor all departments to ensure adherence to personnel regulations and handling staff welfare, staff counseling, transfers, discipline and leave;
- Developing, coordinating and monitoring the implementation of performance management and career development/ succession planning programmes;
- Conducting capacity/ training needs assessment and preparing the report, designing, implementing , monitoring and; evaluation of training programmes;
- To oversee the activities of the central registry and ensure that records are kept and updated;
- Guiding and Counseling staff; and arbitrating in labor or employment related issues.